How to Clean a Hookah
August 29, 2019
Now that you have used your MYA hookah, it’s time to consider something you may not have thought about before: proper care and maintenance. That’s right – hookahs need to be cleaned periodically and properly. Below, you’ll find our tips and tricks on how to clean your hookah.
Importance of Proper Maintenance
The water in the base acts as a filter for the smoke, which is why it’s very important to change the water after every use. Smoke and particulate matter can cling to the inside of the hoses or stem, so cleaning thoroughly is key. If your hookah gradually builds up the matter, eventually it will not draw properly and the smoke can start to taste stale or not as fresh. MYA suggests a regular cleaning regimen to prevent this.
A Quick Guide to Cleaning Your Hookah
Cleaning a hookah is not as difficult as it sounds. We’ll provide you with a quick guide to properly clean and maintain your hookah after every use. All you will need is:
- Baking soda
- Lemon juice
- Cleaning brush
- Stem brush (optional)
Before you begin:
- Wait until the hookah has completely cooled down.
- Make sure your hoses are washable.
- Never use soap, as this may alter the smoke taste in future use.
- Create a mixture by combining 1 cup of hot water, 2 tbsp baking soda, and 1 tbsp of lemon juice (baking soda and lemon juice will naturally and chemically dislodge any particles and remove any interior stains).
Cleaning Your Base
- Begin by carefully taking your hookah apart. Dump the used tobacco and ashes from the plate and remove the stem from the vase to dump the used water. Now you are ready to clean the vase itself.
- With your mixture of hot water, baking soda, and lemon juice swirl it around the vase, making sure it touches every surface of the glass. Proceed to scrub the base thoroughly with your cleaning brush.
- Once you’ve finished scrubbing, rinse with warm water and let your vase dry completely before assembling again.
If applicable, carefully remove your pressure release valve, untwist it, and make sure the metal ball bearing is completely clean. If this pressure release valve becomes stuck, it can affect the functioning of your hookah. You will always want to keep an eye on that specific area in cleaning as well.
Cleaning Your Hose
- Hoses need extra care, so carefully detach them from the hose port on the stem of your hookah. Plug one opening of the stem with a finger and pour some of your leftover mixture into the stem.
- Scrub the inside of the stem using a stem brush. If a brush is not available, shake or blow strongly through the hose to clear away any particles and dirt.
- Run warm water through the hose to thoroughly remove all residue and let it dry before reattaching.
Cleaning a hookah is not difficult, but it just requires some practice and patience. Proper maintenance and a consistent cleaning schedule will ensure the best longevity and shelf life of your MYA.